This site uses technical and analytics cookies.
By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies.

How to register birth, marriage, marriage bans, death

The Civil Registry of an Embassy or Consulate handles, just as an Italian municipality does, the registration, updating and maintenance of the Civil Registry. There are four Civil Registries: citizenship, births, marriages, and deaths. For each of these matters, the Civil Registry is authorised to issue certified copies of documents filed with it attesting to the civil status of each individual.

In particular, the Embassy of Italy in Yerevan receive acts emitted by foreign authorities and transmit them to the competent Italian municipalities for registration.

The Civil Status department of a Consulate, in addition to handling the four registries, helps citizens residing in its jurisdiction to complete the following procedures:

· writing of marriage bans and posting them at the consulate;

· transmission of requests addressed to the authorised Prefecture to change a name (considered ridiculous or embarrassing);

· reception and transmission of separation and divorce rulings for registration in the authorised municipalities.

This Embassy does not perform translation into Italia language. For sworn translator please click here



In order for Italian citizens who have established their residence abroad to register births, marriages and/or deaths (and to obtain related certificates), they must first be registered in the Registry of Citizens Residing Abroad (AIRE)



Registration of the birth of the child of an Italian citizen abroad.

Children of parents of whom at least one is an Italian citizen, even if they are born abroad and have citizenship in another country, are Italian citizens and, consequently, their births must be registered in Italy. In order to register a birth it is necessary to bring the following documents to the Consulate:

– Original of the Birth certificate issued by the Civil Registry of Armenia, legalized with Apostille

– sworn tanslation  into Italian by an Official translator and legalized with Apostille;

– passport of the parent who is Italian citizen;

– passport of the other parent and his/her birth certificate translated into Italian by an Official translator.

Application form



Registration in Italy of the marriage of Italian citizens celebrated in Armenia.

In order to have legal value in Italy a marriage celebrated abroad must be transcribed in Italian at the competent municipality.

An Italian citizen duly registered with AIRE will have to ask that the wedding bans be posted at the Embassy of Italy in Yerevan and will then be able to be married at the Embassy, on the condition that there is no local law preventing this.

If the couple are marrying before the Authorities of Armenia, there is not need of wedding bans.

The Italian citizen residing in Italy will have to request that the marriage bans be posted in the municipality of residence and can then be married before foreign authorities.

The persons concerned are then required to bring the marriage certificate issued by the local authorities, with relative translation into italian. Both documents (original and translation) must be legalized with Apostille. Moreover the persons concerned has to submit the following documents:

– photocopy of their passports

application for registration of the marriage in Italy

– photocopy of the foreign citizen’s birth certificate, translated into Italian and notarized by Notary Public in Armenia

Marriage banns

are compulsory when a civil or religious marriage is solemnized in Italy.

The bride or the groom must be an Italian national, residing in England and registered with Aire.

In the case of two Italian citizens, one residing in this consular jurisdiction and the other residing either in Italy or other consular/diplomatic jurisdiction, the procedure for the marriage banns may be carried out either at this Consulate General or at the Municipality/other Consulate where resident.

The required documentation to proceed with the Marriage Banns (which should be forwarded by post, at least 2 weeks before your appointment) is the following:

1. “marriage banns” application form;

2. photocopy of valid ID, for bride and groom;

3. photocopy of Certificate of no Impediment for foreign partner;

4. for civil marriages, please include date and address of Registry Office;

5. for a religious marriage: a letter on headed paper from the Church is requested, with a seal and signature of the priest officiating the wedding, containing full details of the bride and groom, the Church, as well as the date of the ceremony.

Marriage banns must be completed no earlier than 180 days before the marriage takes place.

The Banns are published for eight consecutive days on the online Embassy Notice Board.  Four days after their publication, the “Certificate of Completed Marriage Banns” is issued and is valid for 180 days. After this period has expired, in order to marry, the Marriage Banns procedure must be repeated.

The above-mentioned certificate will be posted at the address supplied and also sent by registered email (pec) to the relevant Comune, in the case of a civil wedding.


Registration in Italy of a divorce ruling pronounced abroad: first and foremost, it is necessary to realise that a divorce ruling pronounced abroad is not automatically considered valid in Italy. For the transcription of divorce, the marriage certificate must have already been registered in Italy.

The documentation required for transcription are:

Application form;

self-certifying affidavit;

–  judgement order issued by the Court with Apostille;

– sworn translation into Italian language of the judgement order  legalized with Apostille;

–  “final and absolute” decree of divorce legalized with Apostille;

– sworn translation of the final and absolute decree of divorce, letalized with Apostille;

– sworn translation into Italian language  of  the above said decree with Apostille;

– agreement for children’ (only if there are children under 18); ‘agreement for children’ must also be in original and legalized with Apostille. If there was no ”agreement for children”, you must obtain and submit a statement certifying that the Court had no intervention in the children agreement. It must be legalized with Apostille and translated in Italian (also the translation must be legalized with Apostille)

If the documents are valid according to the law of the country of issue, the Embassy sends the documents via certified e-mail  to the competent Italian municipality for the registration of the court’s verdict.



Registering the death of an Italian resident abroad in Italy:

the death of an Italian citizen abroad has to be registered in Italy.

Documents necessary for registering deaths are:


– death certificate issued by the competent registry office of Armenia, duly translated and legalized with Apostille;

– translation into Italian language of the Death Certificate legalized with Apostille;

– original documentation of the deceased’s citizenship: identity card, Italian passport or certificate of Italian citizenship.